Glow, Little Glow Reese

Reese accidentally cracked open a little glow stick he was playing with today. He asked if he could pour the liquid out into a jar. The glow stick was labeled “Non-Toxic” so we thought that seemed like a fun idea. He got a pair of scissors out and was cutting up the glow stick so he could more easily get the liquid out when we heard him yell, “Oh no!”

When he cut the little stick the top went flying. He happened to be standing at the sink in the master bedroom. You could just barely see a couple of liquid dots on the carpet glowing faintly. That is until I turned out the lights and we saw this:

DSC_1384.jpg Awesome!

I don’t think we have to clean it up because you can’t really see it with the light on and that stuff will probably stop glowing in a day or two right?

Then Reese pointed out that he thought he might have gotten it on his face as well. If you look closely you can see, sure enough, he did.


We turned off the light again. Somehow we were so amazed by the carpet that we had missed this!

DSC_1372.jpg Awesome! I hope it is permanent!

The moral of the story is that if you let your kids play with strange chemicals fun things will happen.

7 responses for Glow, Little Glow Reese

  1. Brian says:

    That’s a moral I can live by. Also, I hope it’s permanent.

    • Josh says:

      Hah, I added “I hope it’s permanent!” to my post about the same time you wrote your comment! Great minds…

  2. Dave says:

    That’s awesome. He looks like he’s ready to go to a rave party or something.

  3. Janelle says:

    We’ve had that happen before. Actually it was the 4 year old who chewed on her glow stick. I didn’t realize until bedtime. once the lights went out her mouth was glowing! It was a little shocking until I remembered the masticated glow stick in the trash. Phew!

  4. ellie lou says:

    so so great! i always wanted to do that. did he do any wall art with it?

    • Josh says:

      Well, yeah, just not on purpose :) If you look at the first pick larger you can see it splashed on the wall a bit.

  5. jenny says:

    Awesome. Just after Halloween I was gnawing contemplatively on a glow stick when it broke. Not only did my mouth NOT glow (bummer–I even sprinted to the bathroom to check), the stuff inside tastes like you’re chewing on a brand-spanking-new tire. geh.

    Craft Idea: You could re-create the ’70’s cottage-cheese-ceilings-w/glitter by cutting the tops off & flipping the glow sticks upwards.